Xacuti Masala Powder is a hot and spicy curry powder from Goa. This popular curry powder is the basic powder used in many nonveg preparations.
I adapted this curry powder from this site and used only half the measurement given. I converted to cups and spoons so that it was easy for me to half the recipe. The recipe calls for all whole ingredients since I only had powders of those, I went ahead using them.
Though this Xacuti Masala Powder is popularly used in Nonveg preparation, I don’t see why it can’t be used in Vegetarian preparation. That’s exactly what I have done as I have used to make a Paratha and a Masala Dosa
The Xacuti Potato Masala blended well in a paratha though in the dosa it felt like spicy masala, unlike the regular potato masala you would eat. Still, I felt it was a good change from the regular one.
The curry powder stays good for a long time since we roast the ingredients. It’s best to refrigerate still.
Xacuti Masala Powder | How to make Goan Curry Powder
- 1 cup Coriander seeds
- 3/4 cup + 2 tsp Fennel seeds
- 3/4 cup Kashmiri dry red chilies
- 4 tbsp Turmeric Powder
- 4 tbsp White Poppy Seeds
- 6 tsp Cinnamon
- 5 tsp Fenugreek Seeds
- 2 tsp Cumin seeds
- 5 tsp Red Mustard Seeds
- 2 nos Green Cardamom
- 5 tsp Black Pepper Corns
- 5 tsp Cloves
- 1 tsp Mace
- 1 no Black Cardamom
- 1/2 tsp Carraway Seeds
- 1 no Dagad Phool
- 2 small Bay Leaves
- 1/2 tsp Nutmeg powder
How to make the Xacuti Masala Powder
- Take all the whole ingredients and dry roast the spices over low flame for about 5 minutes, until the spices turn crisp and fragrant, with some starting to crackle.
- Transfer to a plate, add the powders as well and allow to cool.
- Then pulse in a mixer till you get a fine powder. Let it cool down.
- Store in an airtight jar. This powder has the shelf life of 1 year. Use as required.