Dhapate is a multigrain roti from Maharashtra and is made by mixing all the grain flour along with spices and vegetables.
The first time when I read it, I thought this will be an excellent roti to enjoy and it is healthy too as we will be including so many different grains. This is almost similar to Thalipeeth.
I adapted this from Meera, who has a huge collection of traditional Marathi dishes. So when I had planned a Maharashtrian thali, I decided to make it. I know it was too early, however, I was planning on making Indian Flatbread in C4AS blog when I had planned on making AtoZ Explore the flavors during April.
When we decided we would do Flatbread for September, I saved it for this marathon. Apart from this, I had another one all done and ready. So you would notice that these pictures are different from the rest. I mostly plan all the pictures to be in the same pattern for myself to know which Mega BM it belongs.
Anyway, when I had made the thali, I had invited my parents for lunch and they enjoyed this flatbread. They said it tasted something very similar to what we have in Andhra yet the taste is different and delicious too.
The other Ds that I had on the list were Dhakai Paratha, Dahi Methi Poori, Dhebra, Doodh Paratha, Dry Fruits Meetha Paratha, Dim Paratha (with eggs), Dashmi Roti.
As I said since I was planning a thali, I had to make sure the bread goes well with the side dishes I was making. So I settled with Dhapate, which refers to both the dish and also slapping on the back in Marathi. I felt this name was given more so because the dough is taken between your palm and clapped about to make a disc.
A to Z Indian Flatbreads:
PIN this for Later!
Step by Step Pictures for making Dhapate
Dhapate from Maharashtra
- 3/4 cup Jowar Flour /sorghum flour
- 1/4 cup Besan /chickpea flour
- 2 tbsp Rice Flour
- 1/4 cup Onion chopped
- 1 Green Chili minced
- 2 cloves Garlic crushed
- 1/4 cup Coriander Leaves chopped
- 1/2 tsp Goda Masala
- 1/4 tsp Ajwain /Carom seeds
- 1.5 tbsp Sesame seeds
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp Red Chili Powder
- 1 tsp Cooking Oil hot
Cooking Oil for roasting
How to make Dhapate
- Take all the ingredients in a wide bowl and mix well.
- Add water slowly to knead a dough.
- Heat a tawa or pan. Make equal balls about 4 or 5. Using a plastic sheet, pat it down. You can even pat the rotis directly on the pan using wet hands.
- Make one hole in a center.
- Add a drop of oil in the center. Cover with a lid. Let it cook. Remove the lid. Flip and cook on the other side.
- Serve with homemade white butter. You can serve with a gravy and also eat it as such.