Banana Bajjis are always a hit. These are made in tons in the beachside stalls and invite many customers. When you visit the beach, you can miss the stalls having all the sliced banana, ready to be dipped into the batter and deep fried for the eager customers. You can actually get to quite a few to choose from. The bajji chilis, Onions, Potatoes and of course, the bananas are the different vegetables, all ready to be fried on customer’s demand.
Though I have not actually tasted the ones made there, they sure tempt you so much. Amma always used to make these, when she makes the onion bajjis. This is so common in Madras, that I was quite surprised when my Sil said they never made these. So I made these for her when I visited them. It gets done so fast that it doesn’t require much preparation.
Just the dish for Bachelors, who can get this done on their own.
Vazhakai Bajji ~ Banana Fritters
- 1 – Banana / Plantain
- 1 cup – Besan / Gram Flour
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp – Chilli Powder
- 1/2 tsp – Ajwain / Carom Seeds (opt)
- Cooking Oil for deep frying
Ready-made Bajji mix is also available in stores, you can just buy those and get this done in a jiffy!
Method to prepare:
- Trim the ends, peel the outer skin. You can either cut these into long strips or circles. Once done, soak them in water, to prevent it from turning black.
- Mix the batter in a bowl. Heat a Kadai with Oil, once it is hot, take a banana piece, shake well to drain the water, dip in the besan and gently drop into the hot oil.
- Cook on both sides and once it turns a golden colour, remove to a kitchen towel.
Serve with Coconut Chutney!